Tuesday, January 22nd

WEEK TWENTY-ONE
(January 22 - 28)



I just asked Tom if we did anything outside of the studio this week. He turned away from his computer screen (in the studio, mind you), looked at me blankly, and tossed back the rest of a BLUE MOON. "No." It's true. We are in complete HIBERNATION.



Right now, life is BASIC. We wake up, drink a pot of coffee, hate our lives, realize that things don't suck as much as they could, put on yesterday's clothes and rush to the studio because we are LATE (usually my fault). We work until we can't stand it, come home, eat a SENSIBLE dinner, fall asleep to the DVR, then start working again.



My friends always say to me: "Yeah, Mike, you're life is SO HARD. You're recording an album for a major label -- something millions of people wish they had the chance to do." Like that's somehow suppose to make it easier.



Honestly, the pressures are immense -- not only due to the FINICKY state of the music industry today, but because of the standards that we (and our team) set for ourselves. We have worked so hard to get to this point and there is still so much more to do to have a chance of survival out there. There's a shit ton of frustration, complication, and red tape that make the process sickening at times. But we are STALLIONS. We work until our eyes bleed and then some. In fact, it's 6am on Tuesday night right now and I'm typing to you. That is DEDICATION people. I love you. My contact lenses don't, but I do.



In the midst of all the turmoil and struggle, there comes WAVES OF EXCITEMENT that make everything cool again. Lately, our production process has spawned a heightened sense of AWARENESS. Everything seems clearer. Maybe it's living a more primitive lifestyle (mentioned above). Maybe it's the stars. Maybe it's MAYBELLINE. But something is very right at the moment. I hope that, in your life, you are having a good moment too.



P.S. I drank so much coffee this week that it prompted me to DESIGN a mug for the DANGEROUS MUSE store. I know it may seem a little odd for a band to have their own cup, but it makes sense to me. What do you think? Actually, it doesn't really matter what you think because I already submitted the artwork to the manufacturer and they're already being made so... yeah. I'm pretty sure you'll be down.



P.P.S. Thanks for your messages. I really like hearing from you.

0 comments: